18 August 2010

Beloit Mindset List

Beloit has posted their 2014 Mindset List, intended to categorize the differences between the mindset of the incoming freshmen class and their teachers. For the most part, this is always fascinating reading, in particular documenting the slow, inexorable change of life through the ages. The list is generally a smattering of cultural, historical, and other milestones that occurred before the current class was born. For example, from this years list, Number 32 is "Czechoslovakia has never existed."; mentioning this fact to an incoming freshman would probably be met with disinterest or rolled eyes, unless they have a particular interest in this part of Europe.

My personal favorites:

1. Few in the class know how to write in cursive.
Humorous to me because although I spent years learning cursive, all I can write in it is my name.

2. Email is just too slow, and they seldom if ever use snail mail.
Also humorous to me since I send around 40-50 emails per day.

10. A quarter of the class has at least one immigrant parent, and the immigration debate is not a big priority…unless it involves “real” aliens from another planet.
I thought this was a huge priority for most people...? Also, given that almost everyone in the US is immigrant descended, I'm surprised this is new...

27. Computers have never lacked a CD-ROM disk drive.
Until netbooks. Expect this one to change again in the future.

28. They’ve never recognized that pointing to their wrists was a request for the time of day.
I thought I was the only one who didn't wear a wrist watch.

58. Beethoven has always been a dog.
A clear sign of the United States decaying cultural heritage. Or something.

71. The nation has never approved of the job Congress is doing.
Apparently times never change, no matter how much they seem to based on this list.

No comments: